The name of this organization shall be the Massachusetts Chapter, Healthcare Financial Management Association. For the purpose of identification and brevity, this Massachusetts Chapter may hereinafter be referred to as the “Chapter” and the Healthcare Financial Management Association may hereinafter be referred to as “HFMA”.
The objectives of the Chapter shall be identical with those of HFMA. HFMA is an Association of individuals who are organized to improve financial management of healthcare institutions and related patient care organizations, and:
1. To foster and Increase knowledge of and proficiency in financial management;
2. To conduct and participate in educational programs and activities concerning financial management;
3. To provide media for the interchange of ideas and disse- mination of material relative to financial management;
4. To strengthen cooperation among individuals of varying disciplines in financial management;
5. To develop curricula and financial management supporting material for use by educational institutions;
6. To cooperate with healthcare institutions and relate healthcare organizations and agencies and other interested groups in matters pertaining to financial management;
7. To establish and promulgate principles relative to financial management;
8. To promote and encourage financial management standards of performance for individuals and institutions in the various areas of financial management;
9. To undertake research in financial management related to these obiectives.
Membership in the Chapter shall be open to all members of HFMA who live and/or work in the geographic area set forth in the Chapter’s Charter as originally granted by HFMA or as the same may be amended from time to time by the HFMA Board of Directors. Classes of membership within the Chapter and qualifica- tions for membership in those classes shall be the same as those specifiec in the By-Laws of HFMA.
1. For the purpose of carrying out its objectives, the Chapter may undertake activities which will promote and develop the Chapter and effect the objectives stated in this Constitution pursuant to guidelines and limitations prescribed by statute or by HFMA.
2. No dividends or pecuniary profits shall be declared or paid to the membership of the Chapter or to any other individual or entity or group of individuals or entities.
3. The Chapter shall not undertake any action or practice which would jeopardize its exemption from the payment of federal income taxes as a tax exempt organization within the meaning of Section 501 (c) (6) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended, or the corresponding provisions of any future United States revenue Law.
The affairs of the Chapter shall be managed by its Board of Directors through its Officers. The powers and duties of the Officers and Board of Directors are defined in the Chapter’s By-Laws.
Meetings of the Chapter membership and of the Board of Directors shall be held in accordance with the Chapter’s By-Laws.
TERMINATION OF THE CHAPTER’S EXISTENCE
If, for any reason, the Chapter ceases to function or in the even of its liquidation or dissolution or the revocation of its Charter by HFMA, all funds in the Chapter Treasury and all Chapter records shall automatically become the property of HFMA and shall be forwarded to the President of HFMA.
AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION
1. Amendments to the Constitution shall be made by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Chapter membership present and voting at the annual meeting or a special meeting called for that purpose provided:
a) A copy of the Resolution to Amend the Constitution together with the full text of the amendments, heretofore approved by the Board of Directors, is approved on behalf of the Board of Directors of HFMA in advance of the meeting at which a vote is to be taken and
b) A copy of said Resolution to Amend the Constitution is delivered or mailed to each Chapter member no less than fifteen (15) nor more than thrity (30) days before the meeting at which the vote will be taken.
2. In the event that the Constitution or By-Laws of HFMA shall be amended in a manner which requires an amendment to this Consti- tution, this Constitution shall be amended as required by that amendment to the Constitution or By-Laws of HFMA without any action on the part of the Chapter or its membership or HFMA. Any such amendment shall become effective concurrently with the amendment to the Constitution or By-Laws of HFMA which required it and the text of the amendment shall be provided to the Chapter by HFMA as promptly as practicable following the adoption thereof.
Amendments to the Constitution shall become effective immediately, unless other wise adopted pursuant to the procedures set forth above provided in the text of the amendment.